General Information

Any eligible person may request assistance from CGMA by contacting a CGMA Representative.
Coast Guard service personnel may also contact one of the other Military Aid Societies or the American Red Cross for emergency assistance when they are unable to apply through CGMA.
"We Look After Our Own"

Basic Requirements

  • Generally the CGMA client will apply for assistance for themselves or for their family members. However, when the client is not available, family members may apply
  • Each person requesting assistance must provide valid identification
  • Prior to providing assistance, Representatives must verify each individual’s status. This can be accomplished by checking their military or civilian identification card. DEERS enrollment can be used to verify military dependency status
  • Representatives must also verify that the individual is not on the CGMA Restricted List
  • Assistance will be provided in accordance with the Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Manual and policies and procedures as established by the CGMA Board of Control

Where To Go For Assistance

Your CGMA Representative

Your local CGMA Representative is the best person to contact when you need assistance. However, if you are away from home, you may receive emergency assistance from any CGMA Representative.

Other Military Aid Societies and the American Red Cross

CGMA has reciprocal agreements with the American Red Cross , the Air Force Aid Society , the Army Emergency Relief, and the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society.

With these reciprocal agreements, Coast Guard military members may receive emergency assistance from these organizations when Coast Guard Mutual Assistance is not available and Coast Guard Mutual Assistance will provide assistance to their members when their parent aid society is not available.

Requests for non-emergency and education assistance are to go through your local Representative and not these agencies. This may involve faxing or mailing requests for assistance that are not time critical to the nearest CGMA Representative.

Note: requests for the Stafford/PLUS Loan Fee Refund CGMA Form 8 and the CGMA Layette Program CGMA Form 7 should be sent directly to CGMA-HQ , not to your local CGMA Representative.



  • Your valid Coast Guard ID card
  • Your Leave and Earning Statement
  • An application for assistance must be completed for each request for assistance.
  • Applications are available to download in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format.
  • Applications may also be obtained from your local CGMA Representative
  • When assistance is provided by another relief agency, use the application form they provide.
  • Note: Applicantions for assistance are provided in pdf format. CG Cyber Security measures may prevent you from opening pdf files directly. If so, you can right-click on the link and select "Save As" after you save the item it can then be opened and used as needed. Contact CGMA-HQ if you have any questions.
  • Applications


In addition to the application form, in most cases a CGMA Budget Form CGMA Form 15 must also be completed and submitted with the application.

When the CGMA Client isn't available one of the following items will normally be required prior to providing assistance.

  • Power of Attorney
  • CGMA Pre-Authorization Form CGMA Form 16
  • Verbal or written consent of the CGMA client

A command endorsement will normally be required for requests for assistance from active duty members, Auxiliary members, civilian employees, and Reserve members not stationed at the same unit as the CGMA Representative. All other applicants may, if they choose, elect to include such an endorsement as part of their application for assistance.

Documents to support your need for assistance (copies of bills or statements, estimates for car repairs, rental agreement, eviction notice, utility bills, etc.)

Depending on the nature, scope and complexity of the request, additional supporting documentation or information may be needed to process the request.

Applicants are encouraged to attach separate letters, statements or other documents to their application when necessary to help support their request and explain extenuating circumstances that would not be evident in the application and other documentation.